Microsoft Outlook is an application that provides an access to exchange server mail. It is a part of Microsoft Office suit that includes contacts, calendar and task management features. If you are an Outlook user and face the problem of Outlook keep crashing, see the fixes below to solve the issue.
Try restarting your Computer
Sometimes there are many programs running at the back of computer that tend to crash the Outlook application. Restart your system to and open Outlook again. If your Outlook keeps crashing again, see below for other fixes.
Update Outlook to the latest version
An Outdated version of Outlook also causes this issue sometimes. Updating your Outlook to latest version will remove many such errors. Just run outlook and click on File. From the file go to Office account and click on Update Options. Select update now and wait till it search for the latest version of Outlook. Now reopen Outlook to check if it is still crashing.
Repair the Outlook account
Many times, due to incorrect Outlook settings, Outlook starts crashing. To check if the account settings are correct follow the steps below:
- Open Outlook and click on File.
- Click “Account settings” and then again “Account settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Go to your account and click on Repair.
- Now click on Next and follow the guidelines.
- Open your Outlook account again and see if the problem persists or not.
Remove unwanted Outlook add-ins
If there are any faulty add-ins running, they will definitely affect Outlook’s performance. To fix add-ins problem follow the steps below:
- Run Outlook and click on File.
- Click on options and then Add-ins.
- Set the Mange option to COM Add-ins. Click Go.
- Disable the unessential add-ins and click OK.
- Reopen Outlook to check if the method worked out or not.
Many add-ins are necessary for Outlook’s performance, do not disable them.
Rebuilding of Outlook data file.
When Outlook data files are corrupted or damaged, they crash Outlook. This will be solved after rebuilding of Outlook data file. Follow the steps below:
- Run Outlook and click on File.
- Go to Account settings and click on Account settings from the drop-down menu.
- Now click on “data files tab” and go to “your account”. Click on “open file location”.
- If you are able to see an “.ost file” in the current window, right click on it. (If you see a “.pst file” then see the next fix).
- Click rename.
- Change the file name extension to “.old”
- Open outlook again and wait till it rebuilds your data file. Depending upon the number of Outlook files, it will take several minutes to an hour.
- During the rebuilding process don’t close Outlook.
Reinstall your Microsoft Office
When none of the above fixes is working for you, you will have to reinstall Ms Office. See the below steps:
- Press Windows logo key from your keyboard. Type control and click on control panel.
- Click on category under View by. Now tap “Uninstall a program”.
- Now right click on Microsoft Office and click on Uninstall.
- Go to the Official website of Ms Office and click on Sign in.
- Go to Install office and click on “Ms Office apps”. Download Ms Office.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the guidelines.
- Once the installation completes, open Outlook again.
Hope you were able to fix Outlook keeps crashing problem